By default the .RTF file extension is normally associated with the MS Word software for document viewing, but sometimes the .RTF extension can get disassociated with MS Word.
Listed below are the steps to reassociate the .RTF file extension with MS Word:
- Download a .RTF file to your local hard drive and find the document using "My Computer" or the Windows Explorer.
- Highlight the file using the left mouse button.
- Hold down the "left-shift" key and "right-click" on the file to view the pop-up menu.
- Select the "Open With..." menu option.
- Choose "Winword" as the program to use when opening the .RTF file.
- Enable the "Always use this program to open this type of file" check box.
- Click OK to save the settings and open the selected document.
The next time a .RTF file is selected it should open the MS Word program correctly.
Last Modified On: September 02, 2017