Q. I've created an email notifier, and added my SMTP server in the Server Settings > Email Settings. When I test the notifier, I never receive the email but InterMapper tells me the test message was sent successfully. How can I troubleshoot the problem?
A. There are several things you can do:
1. Enable detailed logging for "SMTP Connections" using the Help > Diagnostics > Detailed Logs window. Select 'SMTP Connections" from the drop-down list and then click 'OK'.
2. Test the notifier in the Configure Notifier window.
3. Refer to the debug log for detailed information. This information will follow the line "Toggled mail debug option on" in the log. After you turned on detailed SMTP logging, there should be a message in the logs for each piece of communication with the SMTP server, starting from the initial connection; the initial connection should produce a line like 'Connect'd: SMTP connection to "22.214.171.124:25"
4. Try testing whether you can establish a connection to port 25 on the mail server by using the telnet command:
telnet mailserver 25
You can also test the connection by using the InterMapper Basic TCP probe to test port 25.
5. Check that anti-virus software is not blocking outgoing mail.
When you are finished testing, turn the SMTP debugging option off by selecting it again in the Detailed Logs window. When an option in the Detailed Logs list is enabled, an asterisk appears next to the enabled option.