Important Updates to Cybersecurity Software

HelpSystems is updating the names of our cybersecurity software, including the Powertech product line. Don’t worry—the functionality of your products won’t change.

See the new names here > New, Clearer Names for HelpSystems Security Software.

--------------------

These instructions are for moving from a very old version of Database Monitor for IBM i to the current version. If your version is R03M01 (3.01) or higher, see Updating Database Monitor for IBM i from 3.01 to 3.x instead.

Before You Upgrade

• You will need your QSECOFR password for the system.
  • If you use triggers to monitor files in Database Monitor for IBM i, schedule this upgrade during a time when critical files will not be updated. Changes made to files using triggers will not be recorded while file monitoring is disabled. (Files monitored by journal receivers will automatically record any changes once you start Database Monitor for IBM i, as long as the journal receivers are not removed from the system.)
  • The Database Monitor for IBM i upgrade is installed over your existing Database Monitor for IBM i installation. Powertech recommends saving a backup of your existing Database Monitor for IBM i library before upgrading.
  • If you have any type of NON-STANDARD installation of Database Monitor for IBM i, or are on a version lower than V3R2M0, or are not sure, please contact Technical Support before proceeding.  

When installing Database Monitor for IBM i in an HA environment: 

1. Stop the replication of user profiles from production to HA system by either ending the replication software or ending the replication of the user profiles. 
  2. Install Database Monitor for IBM i on the HA and production systems.
  3. Setup Database Monitor for IBM i replication per the HA Setup instructions (see Database Monitor for IBM i Setup in an HA Environment)
  4. Start replication (including the user profiles).

Licensing

Database Monitor for IBM i requires that you enter a valid license key. Contact keys@helpsystems.com if you need to request a new license key.

System Values

It is Powertech’s goal not to change system values on customer systems because we recognize that security-conscious organizations have rigorous change control processes in place for even small changes to system values. Therefore, we ask you to make any system value changes that are needed. However, the Database Monitor for IBM i installation process could change a system value to allow the install to proceed if a system value is not set as specified below. If the Installation Wizard changes a system value during install, it changes it back to its original value when the install completes. To install Powertech Database Monitor for IBM i on your system, the following system values that control object restores must be configured as shown.

• Set QALWOBJRST to *ALWPGMADP (at a minimum) to allow the system to restore programs that adopt authority. Many Powertech Database Monitor for IBM i programs adopt the authority of the product owner, rather than forcing you to give authority directly to administrators and end users. (Note: For some system configurations, *ALL is required temporarily.)
  • QALWUSRDMN controls which libraries on the system can contain certain types of user domain objects. You should set the system value to *ALL, or include QTEMP and the name of the Database Monitor for IBM i product library DATATHREAD for the product to function properly.
  • QVFYOBJRST can be 1, 2, or 3. This allows Database Monitor for IBM i to restore all objects regardless of their signature. 
  • Set QFRCCVNRST (Force conversion on restore) to 0, Do not convert anything. 

System Requirements

Database Monitor for IBM i requires that IBM i version 7.2 or higher be installed on your system.

Note: During installation an FTP connection is initiated. The FTP server responds with messages that prompt for FTP login credentials. The standard port reserved to establish an FTP connection to the IBM i is port 21. Consequently, it is required that this port is open and ‘listening’ on the server in order to establish a connection with the Installation Wizard and facilitate a successful installation.

If FTP is not available, you must install the product manually. See Manual Installation of Powertech IBM i Products.

Preparing to Upgrade and Saving your Current Version

1. Make sure all monitoring is complete and then deactivate files in option 11 or from a command line:

CALL IDT465 PARM('0' '*ALL' ' ') - this will stop all file monitoring

2. Verify that the DataQueues are empty:

CALL DQVIEW SLAW (look to make sure the queues are empty)

3. Verify there are no Database Monitor for IBM i transactions to be processed.

DSPFD DATATHREAD/IDTPRO (‘B’ for bottom - make sure there are no records)
    DSPFD DATATHREAD/IDTOVR (‘B’ for bottom - make sure there are no records)

4. End Database Monitor for IBM i processes.

STRDT Option 17, ENDALL

5. Shutdown your Database Monitor for IBM i Subsystem.

ENDSBS DATATHREAD *IMMED

Use the command WRKSBS and verify the SBS DATATHREAD is not running.

6. Save the Library Database Monitor for IBM i to a SAVF file.

CRTSAVF QGPL/DTV3R2_SVF
    SAVLIB LIB(DATATHREAD) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(QGPL/DTV3R2_SVF)

Upgrading Database Monitor for IBM i

The Database Monitor for IBM i installation file is available on the Database Monitor for IBM i download page. (The "Trial" download is the full product, which can be unlocked with a valid License Key). 

Ensure the following servers are available and running prior to installation:

• FTP Server
  • Remote Command Server 

Do the following to install Database Monitor for IBM i on your system:

1. Sign off and back on, and check for locks before continuing

WRKOBJLCK DATATHREAD/IDTSEQ *FILE
    WRKOBJLCK DATATHREAD *LIB

There must be NO locks on any files in Database Monitor for IBM i before proceeding – back out of any screens you or others may have up in the Database Monitor for IBM i product.

2. Rename members from prior version, if needed

DSPFD DATATHREAD/INNPRMNEW
    Enter B for bottom & press Enter.
    If the member name is INNPRM instead of INNPRMNEW, rename it as follows:
    RNMM FILE(DATATHREAD/INNPRMNEW) MBR(INNPRM) NEWMBR(INNPRMNEW)

DSPFD DATATHREAD/IDTMSGNEW
    Enter B for bottom & press Enter.
    If the member name is IDTMSG instead of IDTMSGNEW, rename it as follows:
    RNMM FILE(DATATHREAD/IDTMSGNEW) MBR(IDTMSG) NEWMBR(IDTMSGNEW)

3. Download the Database Monitor for IBM i Installer (setupDT.exe) to your PC from the Database Monitor for IBM i download page.
  4. Double-click the .exe file to start the Installation Wizard. When prompted, enter the name of the system on which you want to install Database Monitor for IBM i, a user profile, and password.

Note: Make sure the user profile is a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, *IOSYSCFG, and *AUDIT. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO.

5. The Wizard installs Database Monitor for IBM i on your system. When the install completes, you can select to view the install log. 
  6. When you are finished installing, click Finish to remove the Wizard from your PC. The installation process displays the job log name, user, and job log number. Use the WRKSPLF command to display the job log for complete information on the Database Monitor for IBM i install.
  7. Enter your license key.

STRDT
    Enter license key using Option 18

Database Monitor for IBM i installs the following product libraries, user profiles, and command on your system. It also creates the DATATHREAD subsystem if it doesn’t already exist.

Installed on System Description

Product Library

DATATHREAD

User Profiles

DATATHREAD, which has a user class of *USER

The profile is set to Password = *NONE so it can’t be used to sign on to the system.

Commands

STRDT

Subsystem

DATATHREAD

Verify Results, Re-activate File Monitoring, and Start Database Monitor for IBM i

1. Launch the Database Monitor for IBM i application and confirm data transfer was successful.

STRDT
    Check for system specific values (IP address, MAIL-FRM info, etc.) using Option 12.
    Verify files specific to your environment are included the list of files using Option 11.
    Verify history from your system prior to the upgrade shows in Option 21.

2. Re-activate all files you deactivated – From a command line:

CALL IDT465 PARM('1' '*ALL' ' ')

3. Start the Database Monitor for IBM i SBS.

STRSBS DATATHREAD

4. Start the Database Monitor for IBM i Manager.

STRDT, Option 17 then STRMGR

5. Verify all monitors are up.

STRDT, Option 17 then DSPALL 

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: November 07, 2018