To do any Java Servlet or JSP development on the iSeries, you can use either Websphere Application Server or Apache Tomcat Server. RJS Software recommends the Apache Tomcat Server because it is a freely deployable Java servlet engine and can also serve up web pages.
Since Apache Tomcat Server is difficult to set up on the iSeries, RJS has put together an automated installation procedure to jump-start your Apache Tomcat Server set-up. This installation procedure is FREE and without support, except for RJS Software customers who are using Tomcat with RJS products. This installation procedure has been tested on V5R1, V5R3, and i5 Model 520.
If you have comments on this installation procedure, contact Technical Support.
No warranty is implied as to the usage or fitness of this software on your iSeries system. RJS Software Systems Inc. cannot be held liable for any problems or data loss that occurs on your iSeries system because of installation and use of this software.
Making Java Virtual Machine Version 1.5 the Default
To make the default Java Virtual Machine version 1.5:
Warning: If you have other applications using Java on the iSeries, don't make this change until off-hours when you can test.
- Edit the Java system properties file:
- Make the following changes:
- Save and exit the properties file.
Installing Apache Tomcat
To download and install Apache on the iSeries:
- Download and run the RJS Software Apache Tomcat 5.5.15 FTP Installer to upload and restore the library automatically.
Note: Make sure to use a security officer level user with *ALLOBJ authority.
- After the RJSTOMC55 library is installed, run the following commands to restore the Apache Tomcat IFS Folder /TOMCAT5515:
- ADDLIBLE LIB(RJSTOMC55)
These commands may take a few minutes to run.
Note: If you have trouble restoring objects:
- Check the job log to see if it is an ownership issue.
- If so, create a user profile named RJSOWNER and re-run the RSTTOMCAT command.
- After the objects have been restored, delete the RJSOWNER profile.
- Change the parameter for Owned object value to *CHGOWN and specify a profile name.
- Make sure the Tomcat folder was installed:
- Start Apache Tomcat Server in the QSYSWRK subsystem:
The initial Apache Tomcat Server start-up may take a few minutes because the iSeries needs to compile some of the Tomcat objects and JSP pages. This process happens automatically.
Note: If you need to shut down Apache Tomcat Server in the QSYSWRK subsystem, use ENDTOMCAT.
- After Apache Tomcat Server is started, there a job in QSYSWRK named TOMCATSVR. To check that this job is running, use:
WRKACTJOB SBS(QSYSWRK) JOB(TOMCATSVR)
- Make sure that Apache Tomcat Server is using the TCP/IP port 7080 by checking the local ports:
- Use the following URL to access the Apache Tomcat home page, substituting your iSeries IP address for 22.214.171.124:
If the Apache Tomcat home page displays, you have correctly configured Apache Tomcat.
- Install all your custom Tomcat Java, JSP, and Servlet applications in the /tomcat5515/webapps IFS folder.
Once you have copied the applications into the WEBAPPS folder, you can access them with Apache Tomcat Server.
You are now set up to develop Java and JSP pages on your iSeries and use Apache Tomcat Server.