WinSpool/400 Electronic Forms Print Server locks up or freezes when processing a conversion. You may be using Windows 2003 R2.
This problem is a side effect of the Windows indexing service.
To diagnose the issue, go to Printers and Faxes
and find FormDocs Utility
- If FormDocs Utility is not in an error state, further diagnosis is required.
- If an error occured during PDF creation (Export to PDF), FormDocs Utility will be in an error state:
- Check whether a process is locking the PDF temporary file REPORT.PDF in the WSPEFORM directory. An easy testing method is to try to delete this temporary file.
- To release this PDF, either:
- Reboot - This may not be an option for some environments.
- End the process that is holding this file or the handle within the process. To end the Report.PDF handle in an unknown process:
- Download and install Process Explorer. Then:
- With Process Explorer, run a FIND on Report .PDF.
- Double-click a handle to select it.
A new pane displays in the window. The path to the file should point to the WSPEFORM directory.
- Note what process is holding this file.
For example: CIDAEMON.EXE, the Windows indexing service.
- Right-click the handle and choose Close Handle.
- Restart WinSpool/400 Electronic Forms Print Server.
WinSpool/400 Electronic Forms Print Server will work for a while. However, the issue will return unless you use one of the solutions below.
- Remove Process Explorer from the PC.
To resolve this issue permanently, choose whichever of the following two solutions works best for your environment, depending on how you are planning to use the server:
Last Modified On: June 30, 2020