When installing WinSpool 98 on a PC, you get the following error:
Invalid Entry Point
The OCX controls that do not register are:
THREED32.OCX, EMEDIT32.OCX, and CSFTP32.OCX
This is a problem with the MSVCRT.DLL file version not being the correct version. It needs to be version 6.1.xxxx for Windows 2000. However we were not able to simply copy and overwrite the MSVCRT.DLL file with a newer version because Windows 2000 has a lock on the file.
In Windows 2000 you can usually you can rename locked files from the DOS command prompt (cmd.exe).
For example, if you want replace msvcrt.dll, open the command prompt and use the ren command to rename it. Then copy new version and restart your computer. Without restarting, active programs still use the old version. Windows 2000 also has a feature that protects critical operating system files, so you might also need to replace the dllcache version as well.
To rename MSVCRT.DLL and replace:
- In Windows 2000, find the following files:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\MSVCRT.DLL and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\MSVCRT.DLL
- Check the properties on both files and compare the versions. The versions should be 6.1.xxxx.
Note: If one of the files is not Version 6.1.xxxx, determine where you can get a copy of the file. You can usually copy the MSVCRT.DLL from another Windows 2000 PC if needed. The newly copied MSVCRT.DLL or any other V6.1.xxxx version will be needed for the next set of steps.
- Run CMD.EXE to view the DOS prompt.
- Change to WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory. (CD \WINNT\SYSTEM32)
- Rename MSVCRT.DLL to MSVCRT.OLD. (REN MSVCRT.DLL MSVCRT.OLD)
- From the DOS prompt, copy the new MSVCRT.DLL to the \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory.
For example: Copy C:\NEWFILES\MSVCRT.DLL C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
- Restart the computer. The MSVCRT.DLL in the WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory should now be Version 6.1.xxxx.
- Reinstall WinSpool 98 and see if all OCX controls register correctly. You could also use REGSVR32.EXE to manually register the OCX files. The WinSpool 95 program group also has an option to Manually Register OCX Files.