These instructions describe how to install or update Robot Monitor 14 on your AIX and VIOS partitions and PC. Read the following document carefully before proceeding.

Before You Begin

Before you begin the installation or update process, ensure you meet the following system requirements:

• AIX 6.1 TL9, with minimum bos.perf.perfstat level 6.1.9.100

• AIX 7.1 TL4, with minimum bos.perf.perfstat level 7.1.4.0

• VIOS 2.2.4, with minimum bos.perf.perfstat level 6.1.9.100

• Windows 7 or higher for the Robot Monitor PC software

Checking Your Versions

For AIX:

• To check the version, run the oslevel command.

• To check the perfstat version, run the following command:

lslpp -l bos.perf.perfstat | grep bos.perf.perfstat | uniq

For VIOS:

• To check the version, run the ioslevel command.

Note: This must be run before oem_setup_env (found under "Installing Robot Monitor on an AIX or VIOS Partition" below).

• To check the perfstat version, run the following command:

lslpp -l bos.perf.perfstat | grep bos.perf.perfstat | uniq

Note: This must be run after oem_setup_env (found under "Installing Robot Monitor on an AIX or VIOS Partition" below).

IBM i Host

You need an existing Robot Monitor host system on an IBM i partition before you can install Robot Monitor on an AIX or VIOS partition.

To install Robot Monitor on an IBM i system, see Installing or Updating Robot Monitor on Your IBM i Systems. Note: You can also install the PC software using these instructions. If you choose to do so, skip "Downloading the Robot Monitor PC Software" below.

TCP Port

Ensure that TCP/IP communication over port 3070 is possible in both directions between the AIX or VIOS partition and the Robot Monitor host partition. If it's not, Robot Monitor won't function on AIX or VIOS partitions.

Disk Space

These instructions require 55MB of disk space under /opt, which includes space for log files, and 5MB of space in /tmp for product updates.

System Definition

A system definition needs to be created on the host system pre-installation. Note: The node type must be correctly defined as either *VIOS or *AIX rather than *NATIVE, as the latter is for an IBM i partition.

Follow the steps on page 7 of the Robot Monitor IBM i User Guide to define a system, then apply a valid license code to the product before you continue with the next steps.

Installing Robot Monitor on an AIX or VIOS Partition

Use these instructions to install Robot Monitor on your AIX and VIOS partitions.

1. To access the AIX or VIOS partitions, use a Windows SSH or Telnet client.

2. Log on to the partition on which you want to install Robot Monitor.

3. Obtain a root shell on the partition. For VIOS, use the padmin user, then run the command oem_setup_env to enter the OEM software installation environment.

4. Execute the following command to install Robot Monitor on the partition:

rpm -ihv http://{host}:3070/rbtmonsmcd.rpm

where host is the name or IP address of the Robot Monitor IBM i host partition.

If the installation is successful, a message should appear stating the rbtmonsmcd subsystem has started.

Verifying the install

You can also verify the success of the install by executing this command:

rpm -qi rbtmonsmcd

Updating Robot Monitor on an AIX or VIOS Partition

Use these instructions to manually update Robot Monitor on your AIX and VIOS partitions.

1. To access the AIX or VIOS partitions, use a Windows SSH or Telnet client.

2. Log on to the partition on which you want to update Robot Monitor.

3. Obtain a root shell on the partition. For VIOS, use the padmin user, then run the command oem_setup_env to enter the OEM software installation environment.

4. Execute the following command to update Robot Monitor on the partition:

rpm -ihv http://{host}:3070/rbtmonsmcd.rpm

where host is the name or IP address of the Robot Monitor IBM i host partition.

Note: When you update the Robot Monitor IBM i host partition, any configured AIX or VIOS partitions will be automatically updated.

Downloading the Robot Monitor PC Software

Use these instructions to download the Robot Monitor GUI onto your PC.

1. Download the Robot Monitor installer (setupMonitor14.exe) from your My Downloads page on our website.

2. On the HelpSystems Setup Wizard panel, select Install/Upgrade Robot Monitor PC Software only.

3. Follow the rest of the steps as prompted.

After You Are Done

Once Robot Monitor is installed, you can monitor your AIX and VIOS partitions from the host and use the GUI to create user-defined and configurable data definitions. These definitions (or elements) allow you to define what data is collected for a single partition, multiple partitions, or all partitions.

To learn more, refer to the Robot Monitor User Guide and other documentation on our website.

Other things to note:

• A successful installation creates a “rbtmon” user and “robot” group with a home directory of /opt/helpsystems/rbtmon.

• Log files are available under /opt/helpsystems/rbtmon/node/log. Default configuration rotates up to 4 log files at a maximum size of 10MB each.

• The collector daemon, rbtmonsmcd, is installed as a subsystem. Start-up and shutdown scripts are installed for runlevel 2.

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: March 08, 2018