These instructions describe how to install or update Robot Monitor 14 on your IBM i systems and PC. Read the following document carefully before proceeding.

Before You Begin

• If you are converting from QSystem Monitor to Robot Monitor, your version of QSystem Monitor must be at V13R10 or higher before attempting the update.
  • If you are currently at release 13 of QSM and are converting to Robot Monitor, the process is an update.   Please follow the update section of these Install/Update Instructions.
  • To install Robot Monitor, you must run the following:

• Windows 7 or higher

• IBM 7.1 or higher

• During an installation or update, the system value QALWOBJRST (Allow Object Restore) must be set to *ALL. It can be changed once the process completes.

• Important: If you're updating Robot Monitor, make sure you do the following before you begin:

• Create a backup of the PC configuration. See the "Getting Started" section of the Robot Monitor PC User Guide for more information.

• Release all locks on the MSM library using the following command:

WRKOBJLCK OBJ(MSM) OBJTYPE(*LIB)

• If you're going to run Robot Monitor for the following OS levels, you must apply the specified PTFs:

Version

PTF

V7R3

PTF SI66901 – 12 Mar 2018 - http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3SI66901

V7R2

PTF SI52785, superseded by PTF SI56826 (recommended)

PTF SI66890 – 15 Feb 2018 - http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3SI66890

V7R1

PTF MF48890, superseded by PTF MF59685 (mandatory)

V7R1

PTF SI52471, superseded by PTF SI56900 (recommended)

V7R1

PTF MF56844, superseded by PTF MF59539 (optional)

• For installs only: When you’re finished installing Robot Monitor, follow the steps below to enter the license code.

• Once the installation or update process completes, read the After You Are Done section for additional information.

Communication Requirements

Review the following requirements to ensure communication between the PC software and the IBM i will be successful.

• The FTP TCP server must be active on the target system.

• "Target system" refers to the IBM i system on which the software is installed directly from the installer. So if you only install to a single system, that is the target system.

• FTP is only required during installation or for distribution from one system to another using MONDSTIP.

• Your systems must be able to communicate using TCP over the product's TCP port.

By default, Robot Monitor's TCP port is 3070. We recommend leaving it at this setting, but you can change this during the installation process if special requirements apply.

• Port 3070 must be open, in both directions, between:

• The host system and each PC that runs Robot Monitor

• The host system and each remote system

This applies for normal operations and product updates.

Installing Robot Monitor

Use these instructions to install Robot Monitor on your IBM i and PC. This process downloads everything to your PC and installs the objects on the IBM i. Afterward, you can launch Robot Monitor from the IBM i or the PC.

1. Download the Robot Monitor installer (setupMonitor14.exe) from My Downloads page on our website. Double-click it to start it.

2. On the HelpSystems Setup Wizard panel, select which components you want to install. You can choose to install the host software for the IBM i and the PC software (the GUI). Click Next.

3. Select a folder on your PC where you want the GUI to be installed, if other than the default. Click Next.

Note: The default location is c:\Program Files (x86)\Help Systems\Robot MONITOR.

4. On the Host System panel:

1. Enter the System Name and IP Address where you want to install Robot Monitor.

2. (Optional) In the Show Advanced section:

• Enter a port number or use the arrows if you want to change the FTP port number to something other than the default of 21.

• Enter a port number for Robot Monitor if you want to change it to something other than the default of 3070.

3. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *AUDIT, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, *SPLCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

4. Click Next.

5. Review the first time installation parameters and make changes as necessary.

Note: This is the name of a subsystem that's used by Robot Monitor. When in doubt, leave these parameters at their default settings (MSM). If you decide to change any of the parameters, note that the commands you use on the IBM i (to add a library list entry, for example) will also change.

6. If you have a license code for Robot Monitor, enter it in the License Code field.

Note: If you don't have a license code yet, you can enter it after installation. However, you won't be able to use monitoring until you apply a license code.

7. On the Select Remote Systems panel:

1. Click Add to define a remote system you want monitored by Robot Monitor. If you want to remove a remote system from the list, highlight it and click Remove.

2. Enter a System Name, short Description, and IP Address for the remote system.

3. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *AUDIT, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, *SPLCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

4. Repeat these steps to add other remote systems as needed. When you're finished, click Next.

8. The Transferring Package for Robot Monitor panel launches. The installation process may take a few minutes to complete. When it finishes, click Close.

See Launching Robot Monitor below for instructions on how to launch Robot Monitor on the IBM i or the PC.

Updating Robot Monitor

Note: If you'd prefer not to update Robot Monitor manually, the product should update automatically from the GUI whenever a new update is available.

Use these instructions to update Robot Monitor. This process downloads everything to your PC and loads the updated objects on the IBM i. Read the following steps carefully to proceed.

1. Download the Robot Monitor installer (setupMonitor14.exe) from My Downloads page on our website. Double-click it to start it.

2. On the HelpSystems Setup Wizard panel, select which components you want to update. You can choose to update the host software for the IBM i and the PC software (the GUI). Click Next.

3. Select a folder on your PC where you want the GUI to be updated, if other than the default. Click Next.

Note: The default location is c:\Program Files (x86)\Help Systems\Robot MONITOR.

4. On the Host System panel:

1. Select or enter the System Name and IP Address where you want to update Robot Monitor.

2. (Optional) In the Show Advanced section:

• Enter a port number or use the arrows if you want to change the FTP port number to something other than the default of 21.

• Enter a port number for Robot Monitor if you want to change it to something other than the default.

Note: If you want to use a port for Robot Monitor, contact Technical Support.

3. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

4. Click Next.

5. On the Update Type panel, select whether you want to run a full update (all objects) or quick update (changed objects only). Click Next.

6. The Transferring Package for Robot Monitor panel launches. When the installation or update process completes, click Close.

Launching Robot Monitor

Follow these steps to launch Robot Monitor on the IBM i or the PC.

On the IBM i

1. Log on to the IBM i system you installed Robot Monitor on in step 4 of the installation process.

2. Enter the following command on the command line to add the Robot Monitor library to your library list:

ADDLIBLE MSM

Note: If you changed the library name in step 5 of the installation process, use that name instead of MSM.

3. Enter GO RM in the command line, then press Enter. The Robot Monitor Main Menu displays.

From the Main Menu, you can define the systems you want to monitor and configure your host system. For more information, see the Robot Monitor IBM i User Guide.

On the PC

1. Navigate to the folder on your PC where the Robot Monitor GUI is located.

2. Double-click the Robot Monitor application to start it.

3. On the log in screen, enter a host system and IP address. You can use Verify to make sure the host system is valid.

4. If you want to connect to this system every time you start Robot Monitor, select Connect at Startup.

5. Click Connect. The Home Dashboard displays.

For more information on how to setup the Robot Monitor GUI, see the Robot Monitor PC User Guide or press F1 in the GUI to open the online help.

Entering the License Code

Note: You only need to enter a license code after installing Robot Monitor. If you updated Robot Monitor or updated from QSystem Monitor to Robot Monitor, skip these steps.

After you install Robot Monitor, you must enter a license code in order to use it. If you haven’t received a license code, contact your Regional Sales Manager.

On the IBM i

If you have a text-based license code, follow these steps to enter it on the IBM i.

1. Type 1, Monitor Configuration, on the command line and press Enter.

2. Enter option 2 next to the system you want to enter a license code for.

3. Press F10, Expiry Codes, to access the Robot Monitor License Setup panel.

4. Paste your new license code into the License Code field.

5. Press Enter.

On the GUI

If you have a license file, follow these steps to enter it on the GUI.

1. Click the File menu, then Tools to access the Tools menu.

2. Click Licenses.

3. Browse to select the license file you want to load.

4. Click Load Licenses from File.

After You Are Done

• Execute the following commands to access the product's Main Menu on the IBM i:

ADDLIBLE MSM (Note: If you changed the library name in step 5 of the installation process, use that name instead of MSM.)

GO RM

• Set up Robot Monitor on your system as described in the Robot Monitor PC User Guide and Robot Monitor IBM i User Guide. You can download these manuals from our website.

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: August 01, 2018