This topic describes the tasks you must perform before you install Robot UPS.

Software Requirements

• To install Robot UPS 3 on an IBM i or i5 system, you must be running V5R4 or higher.

• If you have multiple IBM i or i5 systems that are networked using Robot Network, you must update or convert Robot Network before installing Robot UPS. You can update or convert one system at a time, but the host system must be updated or converted first and all products on a system must be updated at the same time. Robot Network must be at the following release/modification levels or higher:

• Robot Network host R9M58

• Robot Network node R9M00

• Robot Alert must be at the following release/modification level or higher: R5M00.

What Type of System Do I Have?

How you set up Robot UPS 3 depends on the type of system you are using—IBM i or i5. To determine which system you have, enter the following command:

DSPSYSVAL SYSVAL(QMODEL)

Model numbers 520, 550, and 570 are i5 systems. All other model numbers are IBM i systems. Follow the installation instructions (on the product CD) and the Robot UPS 3 User Guide procedures for your system type.

UPS Cable on i5 Systems

On i5 systems, the UPS cable is plugged into a different location than on IBM i systems. In addition, i5 systems require a special cable, which is different than the cable used for IBM i systems. Refer to your IBM i5 system documentation, refer to the information at the URL listed below, or contact IBM to determine the proper cable and location for your i5 system.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2s/en_US/info/iphah/iphah.pdf

Using the Automatic IPL Function on i5 Systems

When the automatic IPL function is enabled, Robot UPS can begin to run your scheduled power restored actions automatically, without an operator, when power is restored. On i5 systems, the automatic IPL function is set using the Advanced System Management Interface (ASMI). Depending on how your i5 is configured, the procedure for enabling automatic IPL is different. Refer to your IBM i5 system documentation or contact IBM to determine how to enable the automatic IPL function for your i5 system.

Robot Network Packets and Robot UPS

You can no longer use Robot Network packets to update your Robot UPS system settings and power actions effective with Robot UPS 3, which is designed for users who have consolidated their operations to large, partitioned systems. Robot UPS 3 allows you to update all partitions on a system from a Robot UPS controlling partition. From the controlling partition you can update the system setup records on all partitions, as well as update the power failed and power restored actions on all partitions. If you have questions about how to use Robot UPS, refer to the Robot UPS 3 User Guide.

Using a Robot UPS Controlling Partition

A Robot UPS controlling partition facilitates system setup on partitioned (LPAR) systems. You can set up all partitions from the controlling partition and don’t have to sign on to each partition and update it manually. You also can use a controlling partition to update the power failed and power restored actions on all partitions. The controlling partition was designed for your convenience—it saves you time and is an easy way to set up Robot UPS and quickly update power actions, and other system setup records, from a central point of control.

Partitioned IBM i systems

Before you can install on the other partitions, you must install Robot UPS on the primary partition. During installation on the primary partition, you are required to designate the primary partition as the Robot UPS controlling partition. To do this, you enter the primary partition’s host name or IP address in the Controlling Partition Information field. Record the host name or IP address for the controlling partition. You are required to enter this information during installation on all the other partitions.

Partitioned i5 systems

On i5 systems, you have the option to designate a Robot UPS controlling partition, and we strongly recommend that you do so. Begin by selecting the partition you want to use as the controlling partition and install Robot UPS on that partition first. During installation, enter the host name or IP address of the partition you selected in the Controlling Partition Information field. Record the host name or IP address for the controlling partition. You are required to enter this information during installation on all the other partitions.

If you do not create a controlling partition on your i5 system during installation, you can create one later. In addition, after you install Robot UPS on each partition and create a system setup record for each partition, you can discontinue the use of a controlling partition—and, if you choose, you can designate a different partition on your i5 system as the controlling partition.

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: March 08, 2018