Before You Begin

Have you booked your annual Tech Update yet? Schedule one today.

Read these instructions completely before attempting an installation or update.

• This document provides specific instructions on how to install or update Robot Browser Interface using the HelpSystems Product Loader. For general information about the HelpSystems Product Loader, see “Using the HelpSystems Product Loader.”

• The Robot Browser Interface is a web browser-based interface that allows you to access various Robot products from your PC, laptop, or PDA using a central Web Server. You can use the Robot Browser Interface with the following products: Robot Alert, Robot Network, Robot Reports, Robot Schedule, and Robot Space.

• The installation process creates or changes two user profiles: RBTUSER and RBTADMIN. RBTADMIN has the attributes of a QSECOFR profile. RBTUSER has attributes like QPGMR. Directory entries are automatically added for the RBTADMIN and RBTUSER profiles. These profiles were created for the following reasons:

• They satisfy requests from corporate auditors that our objects be owned differently from IBM objects.

• They allow us to build a secure product for your environment.

• They isolate HelpSystems products from IBM i changes to the QPGMR or QSECOFR profile defaults.

Note: If you've made any manual changes to the RBTUSER or RBTADMIN user profiles or their authorities, these changes will be lost with any product installation or conversion.

• Before loading Robot Browser Interface, we check if RBTSYSLIB needs to be updated. If it does, you’ll be asked to bring down the subsystem RBTSLEEPER. This ends all Robot products running on your system. When the update completes, the subsystem will restart automatically.

• If you choose to install the manuals, they’re stored on your computer at the following location.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Help Systems\Robot Browser Interface 2\manuals

• Once the installation or update process completes, read the After You Are Done section for additional information.

Important: We’ve greatly improved the bundled installers to make them easier to use. However, we recommend you read the installation/update/conversion instructions carefully before proceeding. For a general overview of the improved installer, see “  Using the HelpSystems Product Loader.”

System Requirements

The system requirements for the current (non-archived) version are: 

IBM i (i5/OS, OS/400) version V7R2 or higher

Considerations for Robot Browser Interface 2

• This topic describes how to install and access the Robot Browser Interface. There are three parts to this process:

• Install the Robot Browser Interface on your Login Server (also known as the Database Server).

• Install the Robot Browser Interface on your Portal Server (also known as the Web Server).

• Access the Robot Browser Interface.

• Your Login Server must be an IBM i server. If you have multiple IBM i machines, you must decide which one to use based on the following considerations:

• The Login Server is the server that is used to validate Robot Browser Interface users.

• Each Robot Browser Interface user must have a user profile on the Login Server.

• You must have the licensed program, Host Servers, installed on this server.

• Your Portal Server can be an IBM i, Windows, UNIX or Linux server. You must decide which server to use, based on the following considerations:

• The Portal Server is the server that users connect to when they access the Robot Browser Interface.

• Depending on the server, you need the software and hardware shown in the following table.

Server Software Hardware
 IBM i

i5/OS V7R1 or V7R2 or V7R3

Licensed Programs for V7R1
• 5770SS1 opt 12—Host Servers
• 5770SS1 opt 30—OS/400—Q Shell Interpreter
• 5770SS1 opt 33—Portable App Solutions Environment
• 5761JV1 opt 11—Java SE 6 32-bit

Licensed Programs for V7R2
• 5770JV1 opt 11—Java SE 6 32-bit

Licensed Programs for V7R3
• 5770JV1  opt 14—Java SE 7 32 bit

50 MB of disk space
 Windows Windows XP SP2 Pro
Windows 2003
Windows Vista
Hardware needed to meet Windows minimum requirements
30 MB of disk space
256 MB of RAM
 UNIX/Linux Sun Solaris 9 OS
AIX 5.3, plus required patches for Java 1.5
HP-UX 11.23 (11i v2)
Linux x86 Kernel version 2
A server with a 400 MHz, or higher, CPU
30 MB of disk space
256 MB of RAM

To use the following portlets, the Robot products need to be at a minimum of the following levels:

Robot Product Minimum Level
Robot Schedule 10
Robot Space 2
Robot Network 10
Robot Reports 7
Robot Alert 5

Installing or Updating Robot Browser Interface

Use the links to go to the section of installation or update instructions you need:

Installing or Updating the IBM i as the Login Server and Portal Server

The Robot Browser Interface installation and update process downloads everything to your PC and transfers the objects to the IBM i. This process is described in the following section.

1. Download the Robot Browser Interface installer (setupRobotBrowserInterface2.exe) from My Downloads page on our website. Double-click it to start it.

2. On the Choose Components panel, select which components you want to install. You can choose to install the Manuals and the Software for IBM i. Click Next.

Note: Make sure you deselect the Portal Server install option (located within the Software for Windows). If this option is selected when you run your install, it will designate Windows as your Portal Server.

3. On the IBM i Details panel:

1. Select or enter the IBM i where you want to load Robot Browser Interface.

2. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

3. (Optional) In the Advanced Settings section:

• Enter a port number or use the arrows if you want to change the FTP port number to something other than the default of 21.

• Select Secure File Transfer if you want to use FTPS (FTP over SSL) during the file transfer. The default FTPS secure port is 990, but it can be changed to the required secure port for your environment.

• In the Timeout (seconds) field, enter the number of seconds the session should be kept active during an FTP transfer. You can choose anywhere between 25 and 1800 seconds (30 minutes).

Note: If the transfer takes longer than the amount of time specified, the session will expire.

4. Click Next.

4. Select Immediate Load on the Product Load Options panel.

5. The Product Load Progress panel for Robot Browser Interface launches. When the processing is complete, you have two choices:

• If this is the only installation or update of Robot Browser Interface that you're doing, click Finish.

• If you have installations or updates to do on other IBM i systems, click Restart. Then, return to step 4.

Note: If the Product Load Progress panel ends with an overall Failed message, the product upload could not complete properly. To find the reason the upload failed, click View Logs and review your logs. You can also use Download at the top of the logs to save the information for future review.

Your product load is now complete. Continue to “Accessing the Robot Browser Interface” below for additional information.

Installing or Updating Windows as the Portal Server

The Robot Browser Interface installation or update process downloads everything to your PC and transfers the objects to the IBM i. This process is described in the following sections.

Part 1: On the PC

1. Download the Robot Browser Interface installer (setupRobotBrowserInterface2.exe) from My Downloads page on our website. Double-click it to start it.

2. On the Chose Components panel, select which components you want to install. You can choose to install the Software for Windows (the Portal Server and the Manuals) and the Software for the IBM i. Click Next.

Note: Make sure you select the Portal Server install option (located within the Software for Windows). If this option is selected when you run your install, it will designate Windows as your Portal Server.

3. The Robot Browser Interface 2 Setup Wizard launches. Click Next when prompted, then do the following to set up the Portal Server:

1. Enter a port number that isn’t currently in use. The default number is 8008.

2. Enter an administrator name and password (the password is case-sensitive), then click Next.

3. Indicate whether you want to run the Robot Browser Interface as a service (the Robot Browser Interface will run even when no one is logged on to this server), then click Next.

4. This step only appears if you answered yes to the previous step: When the installation completes, indicate whether you’d like to start the Portal Server on Windows, then click Next.

Note: After the installation completes, you have the option to copy and paste the provided URL to open the Robot Browser Interface on a web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox). You can save this URL for later or continue to “Configuring the Robot Browser Interface” below for web browser setup instructions.

4. On the IBM i Details panel:

1. Select or enter the IBM i where you want to load the Robot Browser Interface.

2. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

• Enter a port number or use the arrows if you want to change the FTP port number to something other than the default of 21.

• Select Secure File Transfer if you want to use FTPS (FTP over SSL) during the file transfer. The default FTPS secure port is 990, but it can be changed to the required secure port for your environment.

4. Click Next.

5. Select Staged Load on the Product Load Options panel.

6. The Product Load Progress panel for Robot Browser Interface launches. When the processing is complete, you have two choices:

• If this is the only installation or update of Robot Browser Interface that you're doing, click Finish.

• If you have installs or update to do on other IBM i systems, click Restart. Then, return to step 4.

Note: If the Product Load Progress panel ends with an overall Failed message, the product upload could not complete properly. To find the reason the upload failed, click View Logs and review your logs. You can also use Download at the top of the logs to save the information for future review.

Part 2: On the IBM i

Do the following to load Robot Browser Interface onto the IBM i you identified during step 4a of the installation process.

1. Execute the following command to display the Work with Loads panel:

HSLOADMGR/HSWRKLOAD

2. Enter option 1, Load, next to the Load Name for Robot Browser Interface and press Enter.

3. The Install Robot Browser (PORINSTALL) panel appears. Check to make sure the following defaults are loaded, then press Enter.

Installation type: *NEW

Save file library: *HSSAVF (unless otherwise specified during initial installation)

Install web server: Leave the default of *YES if your IBM i is going to be the Portal Server. If you're going to use Windows or Unix as the Portal Server, change this to *NO.

Your product load is now complete. Continue to “Accessing the Robot Browser Interface” below for additional information.

Installing or Updating on a UNIX or Linux Portal Server

To install or update the Robot Browser Interface on a UNIX or Linux Portal Server, you must have Java 1.5 installed and your JAVA_HOME environment variable must be set. If you are unsure whether, or where, Java 1.5 is installed, contact your system administrator.

Part 1: On the PC

2. On the Chose Components panel, select which components you want to install. You can choose to install the Software for Windows (the Portal Server and the Manuals) and the Software for the IBM i. Click Next.

Note: Make sure you deselect the Portal Server install option (located within the Software for Windows). If this option is selected when you run your install, it will designate Windows as your Portal Server.

3. On the IBM i Details panel:

1. Select or enter the IBM i where you want to load the Robot Browser Interface.

4. Click Next.

4. Select Staged Load on the Product Load Options panel.

5. The Product Load Progress panel for Robot Browser Interface launches. When the processing is complete, you have two choices:

• If you have installs or update to do on other IBM i systems, click Restart. Then, return to step 4.

Part 2: On the IBM i

Do the following to load Robot Browser Interface onto the IBM i you identified during step 3a of the installation process.

1. Execute the following command to display the Work with Loads panel:

HSLOADMGR/HSWRKLOAD

2. Enter option 1, Load, next to the Load Name for Robot Browser Interface and press Enter.

3. The Install Robot Browser (PORINSTALL) panel appears. Check to make sure the following defaults are loaded, then press Enter.

Installation type: *NEW

Save file library: *HSSAVF (unless otherwise specified during initial installation)

Install web server: *NO (selecting *NO allows Robot Browser Interface to only load on your IBM i as the Login Server)

Your product load will now complete.

Part 3: Copy the unix-portal.tar File to Your UNIX Portal Server

Note: It is very important that you copy the file using BIN mode.

1. Download the unix-portal.tar file from the HelpSystems website (listed under Robot Browser Interface Trial downloads).

2. Use FTP to copy the unix-portal.tar file in BIN (binary) mode to your home directory on the UNIX or Linux system.

Part 4: Install the Portal Server Software

Do the following on the UNIX or Linux Portal server where you copied the unix-portal.tar file:

Note: The Portal Server can use any port number to communicate. However, some UNIX or Linux servers allow only the ‘root’ user to use the ports between 1 and 1024. If you're unsure about which port number to specify for the Portal Server, contact your system administrator.

1. Type pwd and press Enter.

2. The home directory and your username should display: /home/. If it doesn't display, use the cd command to change to the home directory.

3. Enter the ls -al command to verify that the unix-portal.tar file is in the home directory. If the file is not in the home directory, locate it and copy it to the directory, or repeat Part I above, if necessary.

4. Enter the following command to make a temporary directory for the installation:

mkdir temp

5. Enter the following command to change to the temporary directory:

cd temp

6. Enter the following command to expand the tar file:

tar xf .. /unix-portal.tar

7. Enter the following command to verify that three files were extracted from the tar file:

ls –al

Three files should be listed: portal_inst.sh, portal.distribution, and tomcat.tar. If one or more of these files is missing, repeat steps 6 and 7.

8. Enter the following command to verify that your JAVA_HOME environment variable is pointing to the correct path for the Java 1.5 directory:

echo $JAVA_HOME

This command should display the JAVA 1.5 directory. If the directory does not display, your JAVA_HOME environment variable must be set. Contact your system administrator to determine the directory where Java 1.5 is installed.

9. After the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set, enter the following command to install the Robot Browser Interface on your UNIX or Linux server:

./portal_inst.sh

10. Follow the instructions that display to complete the installation, including specifying the port the Robot Browser Interface should use to communicate.

Your product load is now complete. Continue to "Starting the Portal Server" below for more information.

Starting the Portal Server

The Portal Server must be active before you can use the Robot Browser Interface. The following table describes how to start the Portal Server on each platform. After you start the Portal Server, see the "Accessing the Robot Browser Interface" section below.

Type of Portal Server How to Start
IBM i Enter the following command on the server:
RBTPORLIB/PORSTARTUP

Note: You should add this to your startup program.
Windows If you chose to run the Robot Browser Interface as a service (by answering Yes in step 3 under "Installing on a Windows Portal Server" above), it should be running. If it's not running, display the list of services, select Robot Browser Interface, and click Start.

If you did not select to run Robot Browser Interface as a service, do the following to start it: click Start->Programs->Help Systems->Robot Browser Interface 2-> start.
UNIX/Linux Enter the following command (case sensitive) on the server from the directory in which you installed the Robot Browser Interface:
./startPortal.shStarting

Accessing the Robot Browser Interface

The final step in the installation process is to access the Robot Browser Interface. To do this, open a Web browser and enter the URL of the Portal Server, which is the IP address of the Portal Server plus its port number, in the format http://IPaddress:portnumber.

Example:
http://xxx.xx.x.xxx:8008

Using the Robot Browser Interface on an IBM i

The host server programs *DATABASE and *RMTCMD must be running on any IBM i that will be using the Robot Browser Interface. To verify whether these servers are running, do the following from the IBM i:

1. Type the command:

NETSTAT

2. Select option 3.

3. Look under Local Port for as-data and as-rmtcmd. If these servers are not in a Listen state, enter the following commands to start them:

STRHOSTSVR *RMTCMD

STRHOSTSVR *DATABASE

Note: If you don't already have this in your startup program, you should consider adding it.

Configuring the Robot Browser Interface

After you've entered the URL and accessed the Robot Browser Interface Login page, log in as the Robot Browser Interface Administrator.

• If the Portal Server software is running on an IBM i server, the default username and password are ADMIN and ADMIN, both uppercase.

• If the Portal Server software is running on a UNIX, Linux, or Windows server, there is no default username and password (for security reasons). You must enter the username and password that you provided during installation. The password is case-sensitive.

The Portal Server Configuration page displays and you can start the configuration process. For detailed configuration instructions, see the Robot Browser Interface User Guide.

Note: To configure the Robot Browser Interface Portal Server to use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for greater security, refer to "Using SSL with the Robot Browser Interface."

After You Are Done

• Set up the Robot Browser Interface on your system as described in the Robot Browser Interface User Guide. If you didn't install the manuals on your PC, you can download them from our website.

• Three libraries were restored to your system for use during the installation or update process: HSLOADMGR, HSLOADMGRW, and RBTCDRLIB. We don't remove them from your system in case you're doing multiple installations. You can delete them when you're finished.

Note: You can move the library HSLOADMGR to a different system on the IBM i and use it to complete additional installs or updates. For more information, see “Using the HelpSystems Product Loader.”

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: April 16, 2019