Before You Begin

Read these instructions completely before you begin.

• This document provides specific instructions on how to convert Robot Space using the HelpSystems Product Loader. For general information about the HelpSystems Product Loader, see “Using the HelpSystems Product Loader.”

• Before loading Robot Space, we check if RBTSYSLIB needs to be updated. If it does, you’ll be asked to bring down the subsystem RBTSLEEPER. This ends all Robot products running on your system. When the update completes, the subsystem will restart automatically.

• When you’re finished, read the After You Are Done section for additional information.

• You can load and run an ISO image on your server to maintain Robot Space on your system. For information on this process, see “Maintaining the Robot Products with ISO Images.” To run the ISO image, you’ll need a conversion code (HLPCSPC03). You can also use a pre-checker code (HLPSSPC03) beforehand to make sure the process goes smoothly.

• IBM i V6R31 or higher is required to run Robot Space 3. Make sure the proper OS level is installed on your IBM i.

• If you have other Robot products, you need to be at the following release/modification levels (or higher) to use Robot Space 3. To find the release/modification level of the Robot products on your system, enter the command RSLVER on a command line.

Product Level
    Robot Alert R05M18
    Robot Client R05M11
    Robot Corral R02M09
    Robot CPA R04M19
    Robot Network (host) R09M42
    Robot Network (node) R09M42
    Robot Schedule R09M18
    Robot System Library R01M96
  • If you are retaining large amounts of history, we recommend that you purge history records before proceeding with the conversion. See the Robot Space User Guide for complete information.

• The Robot Space conversion process creates or changes two user profiles, RBTUSER and RBTADMIN. These profiles were created for the following reasons:

• They satisfy requests from corporate auditors that our objects be owned differently from IBM objects.

• They allow us to build a secure product for your environment.

• They isolate Robot products from IBM changes to the QPGMR or QSECOFR profile defaults.

Note: If you've made any manual changes to the RBTUSER or RBTADMIN user profiles or their authorities, these changes will be lost with any product installation or conversion.

• If you use network security software on your system, you should be aware that the Robot Space GUI uses the following servers and exit points:

Server Exit point
    NETPRT QIBM_QNPS_ENTRY
    FILE QIBM_QPWFS_FILE_SERV
    DATABASE QIBM_QZDASQL2
    RMTCMD QIBM_QZRC_RMT
    SIGNON QIBM_QZSO_SIGNONSRV

We recommend that all these exit point be open to RBTUSER, RBTADMIN, and the users who will be using Robot Space.

What You Need to Know

A summary of the differences between Robot Space 2 and 3 appears below. For complete information on using Robot Space 3, see the Robot Space User Guide.

Monitors

• Monitoring Storage for Active Jobs was enhanced to include monitors for QTEMP and Spooled File Storage. The existing monitor for Job Temporary Storage will continue to function as before. The monitors for QTEMP and Spooled File Storage may need to be customized following the conversion.

• Support to track detail threshold records for Job Monitors was added, but must be enabled following the conversion if you want that level of information.

Collections

• Existing collection groups need to be modified if you want to collect member level statistics.

Commands

The values for the start and end monitors commands have changed.

• The *ALL value ends ASP, QTEMP, SPLF, and JTS monitors.

• The BOTH value is still supported, but ends all monitors (see *ALL value).

• The ASP value still works, but is used as the new *ASP value.

• The JOB value still works, but is used as the new *JTS value, which starts or ends the job temporary storage monitor.

Note: You will need to modify any in-house programs or procedures that use either the SPCSTRMON or SPCENDMON command with the any of the following parameters: BOTH, ASP, or JOB. See the Robot Space User Guide for more information.

Robot Space Pre-Checker

Before you load Robot Space, you can run a pre-checker to determine whether or not the load will complete successfully. To run the pre-checker, do the following:

1. Use the Converting Robot Space instructions to download everything to your PC.

2. When you reach the Product Load Options panel, select Staged Load (step 5b below) and wait until the processing completes.

3. On the IBM i, execute the following command to display the Work with Loads panel:

HSLOADMGR/HSWRKLOAD

4. Enter option 2, Run pre-checker, next to the Load Name for Robot Space and press Enter.

5. Review the information on the Check Install Space 3 panel. Select *UPGRADE for the conversion, then press Enter.

Note: A pre-checker automatically runs during the first part of the Robot Space conversion process, but we recommend you run it in advance to identify any potential problems before attempting a full conversion.

Converting to Robot Space 3

The Robot Space conversion process downloads everything to your PC and transfers the objects to the IBM i. This process is described in the following section.

1. Download the Robot Space installer (setupSpace3.exe) from My Downloads page on our website. Double-click it to start it.

2. On the Choose Components panel, select which components you want to load. You can choose the Software for Windows (the GUI and the Manuals) and the Software for the IBM i. Click Next.

3. If you’re only installing the Software for Windows, the process completes and the installer closes. The Software for Windows has been installed. You can skip the rest of these steps.

Note: The manuals were installed at the following location.

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Help Systems\Robot SPACE 3\manuals

If you’re loading the Software for IBM i (with or without the Software for Windows), continue to step 4.

4. On the IBM i Details panel:

1. Select or enter the IBM i where you want to install Robot Space.

2. Enter a user profile and password that’s a member of the user class *SECOFR and has at least the following special authorities: *ALLOBJ, *SECADM, *JOBCTL, and *IOSYSCFG. The user profile should have Limit capabilities set to *NO. This profile will be used to restore and copy objects, and for product maintenance on the IBM i.

3. (Optional) In the Advanced Settings section:

• Enter a port number or use the arrows if you want to change the FTP port number to something other than the default of 21.

• Select Secure File Transfer if you want to use FTPS (FTP over SSL) during the file transfer. The default FTPS secure port is 990, but it can be changed to the required secure port for your environment.

• In the Timeout (seconds) field, enter the number of seconds the session should be kept active during an FTP transfer. You can choose anywhere between 25 and 1800 seconds (30 minutes).

Note: If the transfer takes longer than the amount of time specified, the session will expire.

4. Click Next.

5. You have two options on the Product Load Options panel:

1. Click Immediate Load if you’d like to load the product on the IBM i now.

Note: This ends Robot Space until the product load completes. After you are done, we’ll restart the product.

2. Click Staged Load if you’d like to transfer the objects now and load them on the IBM i at a later time.

Note: See Loading Staged Objects on the IBM i below for instructions on how to load the staged objects on your selected IBM i system.

6. The Product Load Progress panel for Robot Space launches. When the processing is complete, you have two choices:

• If this is the only conversion of Robot Space that you're doing, click Finish.

• If you have conversions to do on other IBM i systems, click Restart. Then, return to step 4.

Note: If the Product Load Progress panel ends with an overall Failed message, the product upload could not complete properly. To find the reason the upload failed, click View Logs and review your logs. You can also use Download at the top of the logs to save the information for future review.

Loading Staged Objects on the IBM i

If you chose to stage your objects during step 5b of the conversion process, do the following to manually load them on the IBM i you identified above.

1. Execute the following command to make sure no users are signed on to the product you're installing:

WRKOBJLCK OBJ(RBTSPCLIB) OBJTYPE(*LIB)

2. End all Robot Space monitors by entering the following command and pressing F4:

SPCENDMON

3. Remove RBTSPCLIB from all library lists. There should be no object locks on the RBTSPCLIB library.

4. Execute the following command to display the Work with Loads panel:

HSLOADMGR/HSWRKLOAD

5. Enter option 1, Load, next to the Load Name for Robot Space and press Enter.

After You Are Done

• After the conversion completes, execute the WRKSPLF command to check the spooled files for any errors that may have occurred. If you have any questions, contact Technical Support.

• You can access the Robot Space User Guide and other documentation from our website.

• Restart the Robot Space monitors. You can start all Robot Space monitors by entering the following command and pressing F4:

SPCSTRMON

• There is no conflict if you want to have both Robot Space 2 and Robot Space 3 on the same PC. In fact, you may need both versions if you plan to use the PC to connect to multiple IBM i systems that are running different versions of Robot Space.

• If you decide to remove Robot Space 2 from your PC, you must perform the process manually—the conversion process does not remove the software. Contact Technical Support if you have any questions.

• Three libraries were restored to your system for use during the conversion process: HSLOADMGR, HSLOADMGRW, and RBTCDRLIB. We don't remove them from your system in case you're doing multiple conversions. You can delete them when you're finished.

Note: You can move the library HSLOADMGR to a different system on the IBM i and use it to complete additional conversions. For more information, see “Using the HelpSystems Product Loader.”

Still have questions? We can help. Submit a case to Technical Support.

Last Modified On: March 08, 2018