How do I display only the summary totals in MS Excel and not the details information? Can this be done with reports as well as queries?
This can be done either via the ShowCase Query Excel Add-ins (if linking the query to an Excel sheet) or the Excel viewer within Query | Result Options.
Option 1: Using ShowCase Query Excel Add-ins.
- Click View > Report Sections and clear Details to hide the details in the query
- Link the query to an Excel sheet as usual, stop before creating the Query References
- When adding the Query References, select Query Viewer data from the Category drop-down menu
- Finish linking the query to Excel as needed.
Option 2: Using the Excel Viewer to run the query.
- Only the summary total will be shown in the Excel result file, and not the detail data. This only works for queries, not reports (.rpt).
- Report Writer simply sends raw query data to Excel, so, in general, it's best to use Query to move summary data into Excel, by copying the report's select statement into Query for this purpose.
- Create the query, including break groups and summary totals
- Click View | Report Sections and clear Details to hide the details in the query
- Click Run | Result Options and Select Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet from the Viewer drop-down menu
- Click the Options button and un-check the box for "Output report details only"
- Click Tools | Options | File Output tab and un-check the box for "Output report details only"
- 6. Run the query as usual.
For more information about query references or the viewer options, refer to other resolutions within this search or ShowCase online help (search words: QUERY REFERENCES or RESULT OPTIONS COMMAND
Last Modified On: January 29, 2021